Wednesday, October 6, 2010

here birdy, birdy

hey y'all.

i just wanted to be real southern/country this morning. not sure why. maybe it's paula deen, whose candle i have and scent is wafting through the house.

anywho. i made a craft, y'all!

stayed up WAY to late, working on 3 min-projects. you'll see them here in the next couple of days.


the first one is the best one. one i've been wanting to make for a while now.

it all starts with a goodwill frame i found for a buck.


okay, this isn't a great picture of the frame. it has these cute beveled edges (and a hideous, yellowed picture of a bucket with leaves in it...)

okay. so i googled "bird stencils" and "bird outlines" and fund a picture of a bird i liked. then i basically freehanded it onto a blank sheet of white paper and cut it out. 

next, i flipped it over and placed it on the back of the fabric.

then i took a light marker and traced it. i was careful to cut on the inside of the markered area so the pink didn't show through on the final cut out.

then i cut by other fabric to fit the backing of the frame.

it wasn't perfect...

earlier, i spray painted the frame white. i took a strip of fabric and blotted the frame while it was still wet to give it a sort-of distressed look.

see?

here is the final product!

and again... i really like it!!
so there is my fabric framed bird craft. not specifically intentioned for fall but i think it works well with the season! now where to put it.... probably in my guest room. the only room i decorate because I LoVE IT.

oh, btw, i'm linking up here:

tatertots and jello (can't get the button to work)







Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

15 comments:

Katy {and Kahler} said...

well, i really don't know what was wrong with the bucket of leaves... i hear that yellow-ed look is coming back...

but seriously, LOVE it.
love, love, love it.

this is the kind of thing we will do when i move back to the states and we are neighbors, k?

Bailey said...

I think I want to make one of these! (you know, with all this extra time I have)

Bailey said...

I think I want to make one of these! (you know, with all this extra time I have)

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

So creative! You did a great job.

KasiaJ said...

I love how simple and pretty it is. Lovely. I also love the technique you used to age your frame- I haven't seen that before and it's a wonderful effect.

Haven said...

Very cute idea! Fabric and birds, some of my favorite things.

Life With Lucy said...

This is fantastic. I'm so glad I came across your project as I was getting ready to do something similar with framing fabric and birds, but only thought to use black paper for the silhouettes. Such a cute idea and I am SO impressed with your free hand sketch of the bird on the branch. Pretty impressive. Well done!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

that is just adorable. I love the contrast of the bird with the yellow stripes. So cute!

xox
Jen

Melanie @ Addicted to Homes said...

What a creative idea, I love it! Looks great, I think I'll have to try this myself for my upcoming spring decor!

Unknown said...

This is really cute! I love the little birdie! (and your wall color btw) ;). Thanks for sharing! I'm doing this today!!
-Kendall
{Songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

Katie Brown said...

This really turned out wonderful! I just love it!

Lea said...

I really like it too!! Great idea!

Jenni R. said...

It looks awesome! I'm inspired to give it a go here!

Anonymous said...

Your bird silhouette is adorable! I especially love the transformation of the frame...love those goodwill finds!
I saw you featured at Tatertots and Jello.
Cheers!
Theresa

The Creative Chickadee said...

Found you on Linky your Wednesday blog party. As soon as I saw the birdie I you had me. LOVE it. So cute.

Kelly